Monday, June 29, 2009

Horse Whisperer Becomes a Monk

The past few days here have been a storm of activity. One of my best friends from New York, Mike, has been visiting the Abbey this week, and it so happened (without any planning on our part) that he was here when I received the temporary ordination as a monastic, this past weekend. So he got to witness and document my transformation into a baby monk.

On Saturday we hiked to Pollet's Cove and fed the horses and swam in the ocean (for a few seconds anyway -- the water is still quite cold). On Saturday night was the haircutting ceremony, when I and five other candidates for the temporary monastic vow had our heads shaved. And on Sunday morning was the ordination ceremony itself, when I became known here at the Abbey as Zopa (which means "Patience" in Tibetan).


From Gampo Abbey - My Photos
Horse Whisperer: Saturday at Pollet's Cove



From Gampo Abbey - My Photos
Take one last look at that head of hair....



From Gampo Abbey - My Photos
A fledgling monk in his new wardrobe...



From Gampo Abbey - My Photos
Monk on a mountain...


No comments: